5.Circle the correct form of the verb
1. When the earthquake began, we slept / were sleeping
2. The storm hit / was hitting three cities in the south of the country.
3. The water rose / was rising quickly, so I was running / ran black to the hotel.
4. At nine o'clock last night it rained . was raining.
5. We were standing / stood in the garden when the hurricane hit / was hitting.
6. Cars crashed / were crashing, so we were stopping / stopped quickly.
7. We saw / were seeing the avalanche while we skied / were skiling.
8. I drove / was driving home when the bizzard was starting / started.
6. Complete the text. Use the past simple or ast continous of the verbs in the box.
be cry erupt hear see start talk wait
Everyone was standing in the street. There 1)_______ dark clouds of gas above the volcano and everyone 2)_________ for something to hapen. I 3)________ to my neighbour when we 4)_______ the first explosion. We 5)________ bright orange lava runnig down the side of the volcano and for a secend, everyone was quiet. Then seddenly they all 6)_________ talking at the same time, and some people 7)_________. The volcano 8)__________ and it wasn't safe.