Wielkopolski National Park was established by the Council of Ministers Regulation of 16 April 1957, and its boundaries included the area of 9600 ha, under the management of the Park were approximately 5100 hectares. In 1996 a new Council of Ministers on the ESL alters the surface of 7584 hectares and forms a protective zone around the Park so. lagging, the area along with the park area is 14,840 hectares. Park are excluded from urban areas Puszczykowo, Mosina and Stęszew. Wielkopolski National Park is located approximately 15 km south of Poznań and the city is well connected by bus and train (route Poznan - Wroclaw), and through Poznan, thanks to many hasty trains - from Warsaw
The Park 18 conservation areas close to the total area of 260 ha.Chronią these various forms of glacial landscapes and the most natural plant communities and associated animals. Protection extended to the 32 monumental trees and 1 boulder.
Wielkopolski National Park is visited by over a million tourists a year. Park runs through five marked trails with a total length of 85 km. Those routes designated hiking trails, 7 allowing the knowledge not only natural values but also the culture of the area.
On the river there are numerous monuments. The most precious are in Lodz, a wooden church from the seventeenth century, other historical churches with a slightly smaller value can be found in Puszczykowo, Stęszew and Wiry. In Trzebawiu Szreniawie and preserved nineteenth-century mansions today. An interesting object are the ruins of the castle built in 1827 by Titus Działyński for his sister Klaudyna Potocka Castle on the island of Góreckie.
Efforts to create this national park area had already begun in the twenties. With this idea first occurred in 1922, Professor. Adam WODZICZKO. The application of Professor. A. Wodziczki recognition of forests as today the Park to be protected have subscribed in 1926, administering them, the District Board of State Forests in Poznan and the Foundation Board of Kornik, which introduced a ban on the use of complete thinning. The crowning achievement was the creation of a ten-year effort in 1932, two nature reserves: the Puszczyków area 239 ha and the area U kettle area 189 hectares. In 1933, in Mount Osowa was a symbolic opening of the Wielkopolski National Park. In the years 1935-39 can be recorded yet another victory on the road this conservation area namely OZLP complete cessation of logging in the area of 1165 hectares between the reserves and the area in Puszczykowo U kettle.
A new phase of legislative efforts to create the Wielkopolski National Park began immediately after the liberation. In 1946, the Ministry of Forestry has considered the proposed park areas for the protection of large volumes of natural and scientific, but in 1948, Poznan's governor issued a regulation on the protection of landscapes and natural formations in the areas of the proposed national park. Wielkopolski National Park finally lived to see the legal recognition in 1957.
Developing the park land is closely linked to glacier activity, mainly in the period 70 - 10 thousand years ago (so-called Baltic glaciation). Then this will result in different geomorphological processes developed in the form of today's landscape. The largest area of morainic plateau is built of clay, sand and gravel, boulder, and its highest elevation - Osowa mountain is 132 meters above sea level Area plateaus cut by furrows dug by the ice sheet, the so-called. gutter. In the gutters there are numerous lakes: Łódzko-Dymaczewski, Witobelskie, Goreckie, Rosnowskie, Chomęcickie, Budzyńskie, Jarosławieckie, kettle, Box, Lipno Wielkowiejskie and Trzcielińskie. Is regarded as the most beautiful decorated with two island lake Goreckie. In the southern part of the Park area of uplands bordering the Pradolina Warsaw-Berlin, which once carved a melting glacier water (run this way Mosiński Channel). In the eastern part of the uplands are cut off Breakthrough Warta Valley.
To other forms of terrain are oval in outline hills - like kames and railway embankments, hills - eskers. The Park is part of the longest in Poland, Ozu Bukowsko - Mosinski (37 km long). Remembrance of a bygone era are also boulders. The biggest of them called. Boulder Foresters, has been protected as natural monument.
Examples of other boulders in the vicinity of the Wielkopolska National Park was gathered in the garden at the Museum of petrographic created ESL Lakes. They are a representation of erratics przytransportowanych by lšdolód about 18 thousand years ago into the middle of the area of today's Greater Sweden and Baltic Sea bottom.
Monuments of nature are a single living creatures and inanimate nature, or their focus, in particular, Hoary and impressive size of trees and shrubs of native species and foreign sources, waterfalls, rocks, ravines, boulders, and caves. The Wielkopolski National Park recorded 32 trees - natural monuments. Most of them are pedunculate oaks. An interesting specimen is located on the south - west shore of Lake Gorecki. Represent him two mighty oaks pedunculate, trunks fused together. The only monumental sessile oak growing in the walking path on the north-eastern shore of Lake Gorecki. In addition to oaks in the Park extended to protect 2 clones monumental field near Lake kettle and 1 linden near the parking lot in broad Osowa Mount. Rarely meets the monumental specimens of Scots pine. Only such pine survived Wirynki near the mouth of the Warta. It has a huge stock of pierśnicy 115 cm with four branches. Age of pines shall be 200 years old.
Monument of inanimate nature in the Wielkopolski National Park is a huge boulder found in gliniance near Osowa Mountains, in 1966. It weighs over 20 tons and has a circumference of 10.5 m. It was set up by the road Komorniki - Jeziory and a monument dedicated to Polish foresters, called the "cliff Foresters.