History of the origin of the castle in Żmigrodzie is not well understood. We only know that first mentioned it in the year 1296, but probably it was still the wooden building. With 1375 years derived information castrum, which then belonged to the princes Oleśnica. With the death of the last Piast Oleśnica, Conrad White, the town in 1492 with over possession of the stronghold, the Czech king Wladyslaw Jagiello. Shortly thereafter, he gave the local good coming from the Rhineland Sigmund Kurzbachowi. Liege lord of the German family lived in the castle until 1592, when he bought it Urlyk von Schaffgotsch. At that time the building was twice destroyed by fires that have plagued it at the turn of the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries. Rebuilt and strongly fortified, for two years effective based on her attacker Swedish troops. In 1642, however, was captured and for the next 8 years served as the Swedes base in Silesia.