Twilight is a 2008 romantic-fantasy film. It is the first film in The Twilight Saga film series, directed by Catherine Hardwicke and based on the novel of the same name by Stephenie Meyer. It focuses on the development of a personal relationship between human teenager Bella Swan (Kristen Stewart) and vampire Edward Cullen (Robert Pattinson), and the subsequent efforts of Cullen and his family to keep Swan safe from a separate group of hostile vampires.
Seventeen-year-old Isabella "Bella" Swan moves to Forks, a small town near Washington state's rugged coast, to live with her father, Charlie, after her mother remarries to a minor league baseball player. She is quickly befriended by many students at her new high school, but she is intrigued by the mysterious and aloof Cullen siblings. Bella sits next to Edward Cullen in biology class on her first day of school; he appears to be disgusted by her, much to Bella's confusion. A few days later, Bella is nearly struck by a van in the school parking lot. Edward inexplicably moves from some feet away and stops the vehicle with his hand. He later refuses to explain this act to Bella and warns her against befriending him.
After much research, Bella eventually discovers that Edward is a vampire, though he only consumes animal blood. The pair fall in love and Edward introduces Bella to his vampire family, Carlisle, Esme, Alice, Jasper, Emmett, and Rosalie. Soon after, three nomadic vampires—James, Victoria, and Laurent—arrive. James, a tracker vampire, is intrigued by Edward's protectiveness over a human and wants to hunt Bella for sport. Edward and his family risk their lives to protect her, but James tracks Bella to Phoenix where she is hiding and lures her into a trap by claiming he is holding her mother hostage. James attacks Bella and bites her wrist, but Edward, along with the other Cullen family members, arrives before he can kill her. James is destroyed, and Edward sucks James's venom from Bella's wrist, preventing her from becoming a vampire. A severely injured Bella is taken to a hospital. Upon returning to Forks, Bella and Edward attend their school prom. While there, Bella expresses her desire to become a vampire, which Edward refuses. The film ends with Victoria secretly watching the pair dancing, plotting revenge for her lover James' murder.
The Cullens and the Swans:
# Kristen Stewart as Bella Swan, a seventeen-year-old girl who moves to the small town of Forks, Washington from Phoenix, Arizona and falls in love with a vampire, Edward Cullen. Her life is put in danger after a sadistic vampire decides to hunt her.
# Robert Pattinson as Edward Cullen, a 108-year-old vampire who was changed in 1918 and still appears to be seventeen. He is Bella's love interest and eventually falls in love with her. He has the ability to read minds, with the exception of Bella's, along with superhuman speed and strength.
# Peter Facinelli as Carlisle Cullen, a compassionate 300-plus-year-old vampire who looks to be in his mid-30s. He serves as the town's physician and is the father figure of the Cullen family.
# Elizabeth Reaser as Esme Cullen, Carlisle's vampire wife and a mother figure to the Cullen family.
# Ashley Greene as Alice Cullen, a vampire who can see the future based on decisions that people make.
# Jackson Rathbone as Jasper Hale, a member of the Cullen family who can manipulate emotions. He is the newest member of the Cullen family, and thus has the most difficulty maintaining their lifestyle of feeding only on animals instead of humans.
# Nikki Reed as Rosalie Hale, a Cullen family member described as the most beautiful person in the world. She is incredibly hostile toward Bella throughout the entire film.
# Kellan Lutz as Emmett Cullen, physically the strongest vampire of the family.
# Billy Burke as Charlie Swan, Bella's father and Forks' Chief of PoliceThe Cullens and the Swans
* Sarah Clarke as Renée Dwyer, Bella's mother who lives in Arizona with her new husband, Phil.
* Matt Bushell as Phil Dwyer, Bella's stepfather who plays minor-league baseball in Florida.
* Taylor Lautner as Jacob Black, an old childhood friend of Bella and a member of the Quileute tribe.
* Gil Birmingham as Billy Black, Jacob's father and a friend of Charlie.
* Solomon Trimble as Sam Uley, a member of the Quileute tribe.
* Christian Serratos as Angela Weber, one of Bella's new friends in Forks.
* Michael Welch as Mike Newton, one of Bella's new friends who vies for her attention.
* Anna Kendrick as Jessica Stanley, Bella's first friend in Forks.
* Gregory Tyree Boyce as Tyler Crowley, another one of Bella's classmates, also vying for Bella's attention. He nearly hits Bella with his van.
* Justin Chon as Eric Yorkie, another one of Bella's classmates who vies for her attention.
* Ned Bellamy as Waylon Forge, one of Charlie's friends at the police station; this character is not featured in the novel.
* José Zúñiga as Mr. Molina, Bella's biology teacher at Forks High School; in the novel, this character's name is Mr. Banner.
* Stephenie Meyer makes a cameo appearance as a customer in the diner where Bella and her father frequently eat.